Any injured victim must carry out the appropriate actions, in order to be compensated for the accident-linked damages.
Actions to take at scene of collision
• Get names and contact information for all involved drivers
• Get the insurance information for all involved drivers
• Get the names and contact information for any witnesses
• Take pictures of the damage to property
• Take pictures of the accident site
Actions to take within the 24 hours that follow the accident’s occurrence
Get immediate medical attention. Go to a hospital or clinic, or arrange an appointment with a doctor. Sit down with a pen and paper. Record all that you remember about the events preceding the accident, the things that took place during the collision, and what took place after the accident. Consult with an injury lawyer in Calgary and learn the statute of limitations for your case.
Actions to take in preparation for negotiations
• Take notes when having any phone conversation with the adjuster, or with any of the involved parties.
• Preserve any photographs; save any medical bills
• Return to the accident site; record important information, such as number of lanes in the road.
• Check for any evidence, including any video camera.
• Check for the existence of an additional witness, someone that might know how frequently accidents like yours have taken place at that same location.
Ask the treating physician if you might need further treatment, or if you stand at risk for certain complications. If you could have future medical problems as a result of your injury, ask your doctor to mention that fact in your medical report.
Make sure that you learn when your doctor feels that you have arrived at the point of maximum medical improvement. Do not take part in negotiations before that point in time. Have a lawyer request an extension of the statute of limitations, if that were to become necessary.
If a minor was in the damaged car, bring that fact to the lawyer’s attention. That fact could be used as a reason for seeking an extension of the statute of limitations. Legally, that same child could wait until 2 years after his or her 18th birthday, before initiating any legal action, such as a lawsuit.
Actions to avoid, if you have given thought to pursuing a personal injury claim
• Do not post any pictures of your activities on various social media networks.
• Do not discuss your case with others
• Do not hesitate to mention any symptom, no matter how mild to your treating physician
• Do not hesitate to question any comments about your injury that have come from the opposing party, or anyone representing the opposing party. Remember that adjusters do not have any medical training.